In a perfect world, the dissolution of a marriage would go smoothly, with both parties agreeing on all the conditions. In a perfect world, you can file for an uncontested divorce on your own, and be on your way. But we don’t live in a perfect world, unfortunately. Most of the time, one or both parties need a lawyer to help protect their rights and best interests. This is especially true if you have children and can’t agree on custody. Here’s how to know whether you should hire a divorce lawyer in Boca Raton.
Do you need a divorce lawyer in Boca Raton? You may if any of the following applies to your marriage.
- Either one of you have retirement plans and are unsure what is fair compensation from them.
- You believe you’d be entitled to alimony or child support.
- You don’t have the time to navigate the legal system yourself.
- You have (or think you have) incomplete information on your total financial situation.
- You have minor children and need help determining custody.
- You own real estate together, or one of you purchased real estate after you were married.
- You were blindsided by the divorce and had no indication it was coming. (Your spouse may be hiding something important from you.)
- Your spouse is being reckless with money / incurring debt during the separation / before divorce is finalized.
- Your spouse is hiring their own attorney.
- You’re fighting and can’t agree on certain terms.
- You’re very emotional and are having trouble being rational about the divorce.
Don’t attempt a DIY divorce if any of the above applies to your situation. Contact one of our divorce attorneys today!
It’s best to hire your own attorney, even if you think it’s not affordable. A lawyer on your side working to protect your interests can actually end up saving you a lot of money in the long run. Many people who try to save money through a DIY divorce process actually end up spending more. Call us today for a free consultation with a SEM Law Group Law divorce lawyer in Boca Raton, and put us to work protecting your rights!